• Non-European Union students

Non-European Union students with a student visa for less than 180 days: you do not have to make any additional arrangements if the visa you have received indicates the total period of stay. The following text must be present on the visa page: "ESTUDIOS, TOTAL 180 DÍAS".

Students with a student visa for more than 180 days: if you have received a visa for more than 180 days, you will be given a NIE (Spanish Foreign Resident Identification Number) on your visa that will allow you to apply for your initial TIE (Spanish Foreign Resident Identification Card) authorization as soon as you arrive in Spain.

To apply for your initial TIE authorization, you must do the following:

  • Register in the municipal registry (empadronamiento) of the town in which you live. You must request this certificate as soon as possible, after you have found your definitive accommodation.
  • Initial TIE authorization: you must request this once you have completed your registration in the municipal registry (empadronamiento). You must renew it within the 90 days prior to its expiration date. You must have this card in order to stay in Spain.