• Non-European students

  1. To request the initial authorisation to study in Spain, students have one month as of the date they enter the European Union according to the date stamped on their passports.
  2. All documentation must be presented in an official language in Spain (Spanish or Catalan).
  3. Students must present the following documents to the Police Station located in Rambla Guipúzcoa, 74, Barcelona.


  • Original Application Form and copy
  • Original Passport and copy
  • Original Visa and copy
  • Photocopy of entry stamp in the EU or flight ticket (boarding pass)
  • Registration letter from the IQS which also indicates the duration of studies
  • Three recent photos in color, on white background and id card size
  • Registration certificate of residency in Barcelona or any other town
  • Health insurance that covers medical expenses during the stay and two copies. Even if the new immigration law determines that the repatriation insurance is no longer necessary, it is advisable to have one.

The police authorities will send an official receipt of the card. The Tarjeta de Autorización de Estancia por Estudios will be delivered one or two months after administrative processing. Its validity will depend on the period of studies or duration of the academic course.

For additional information, you can consult this document (in Spanish).